MPs on the Culture, Media and Sport (CMS) Committee have written to Channel 4 and Ofcom about their response to the “serious allegations” regarding Married At First Sight UK.

It comes after one woman accused her on-screen partner of sexual misconduct while on the show, while two other anonymous women alleged they were raped, in a BBC Panorama investigation which aired on Monday (18 May).
The letter to Channel 4 asks about its complaints process for contestants on the show, as well as the steps taken to ensure the allegations were fully investigated, and the review announced by the broadcaster.
It also questions the broadcaster’s approach to duty of care to participants on its other reality TV shows.
The correspondence to Ofcom asks about the role of the broadcasting regulator in the complaints process, and its powers to investigate potential breaches of the broadcasting code.
The letter also asks Ofcom about the timeline for launching its own investigation into the allegations.
Chairwoman of the CMS Committee, Dame Caroline Dinenage, said in a statement: “The horrifying allegations about Married At First Sight raise serious concerns over whether enough is being done to protect people taking part in reality television.
“Both Channel 4 and Ofcom, as the broadcasting regulator, have urgent questions to answer.”

The Married at First Sight franchise, which also has popular Australian and US iterations, sees couples “marrying” after meeting for the first time on their wedding day, “honeymooning” and eventually living together.
Channel 4 announced on Monday that it had commissioned an external review last month into contributor welfare on the series following “very serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors”.
It also announced that it had pulled all episodes of MAFS UK from its streaming and linear services in light of the allegations.
The broadcaster said in a statement: “In April, Channel 4 was presented with serious allegations of wrongdoing against a small number of past contributors, allegations that we understand those contributors have denied.”
The statement continued: “The channel is mindful of the privacy and continuing duty of care towards all contributors, and cannot comment on or disclose details of those allegations.
“Related to those allegations, Channel 4 was asked to respond to claims of failures in welfare protocols. Channel 4 believes that when concerns related to contributor welfare were raised through existing welfare and production protocols, prompt and appropriate action was taken, based on the information available at the time.
“Channel 4 strongly refutes any claim to the contrary.”
Read more:
Gogglebox pays tribute after cast member Ken Harwood dies aged 77 after ‘short illness’
Check out more of our Entertainment coverage or visit our TV Guide and Streaming Guide to find out what’s on. For more TV recommendations and reviews, listen to The Radio Times Podcast.

